[lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Oct 23 17:16:50 MDT 2001

rotering at animalcules.com wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:21:02PM -0600, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
> >
> > > You should see the barage of email on the kernel dev list. But as far as
> > > "unenforcable" goes, I think it would do extreme damage so fast that it
> > > would still be a disaster.
> >
> > I see this kind of thing all the time.  What I think is often forgotten is
> > that enforcement of this sort of thing has to be done through the
> > courts.  This is really where the rubber meets the road.
>
> [Patent infringement example deleted.]
>
> The problem with the patent analogy is the method of enforcement.
> Patent infringement typically leads to a cease 'n desist letter from
> the attorney of the aggrieved.  Violation of federal anti-foo
> legislation typically leads to preemptive seizure of assets and, in
> some cases, languishing in jail pending the filing of formal charges.
>
> This bill needs to die.  Quickly.

Added note: Computer and everything related to it, probably including
your windows install disk and license as well as all computers and hard
drives, will be gone for a couple of years even if you win. You won't be
entitled to any loss awards if it is your livelihood, and you won't be
entitled to reimbursement of attorney and court fees. If it is the
government doing prosecution, and they don't like you, it won't matter
if you can win, they will intentionally force it to stay in court to
make it cost you more to fight it.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com