[lug] Mapping Software

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Oct 24 11:13:39 MDT 2001

Hi all,

I am into hiking, and have a Garmin GPS.  Haven't used it in a while, as
it is fairly useless unless I program coordinates of the day's activites
before hand.  Well, it is usefull with out that, but not nearly so much
as it could be.  I have an ancient map program for Winblows, with topo
maps of selected parts of the state of CO.  It would allow one to
position the cursor over the map, and give back fairly acurate latitude
and longitude.  I would then program the important parts of the hike as
waypoints into my Garmin, and could keep very careful track of the days
hiking (especially usefull for winter 14ers, when time really counts).

Finally, to the Linux part of my message.  Any tools to do something
like this with my favorite OS?  I don't have a Windows machine any more.
I have looked at a tool called Drawmap, but have not had a chance to
play with it yet.  I imagine GRASS GIS could do something like this,
too.  I have wanted to play with that anyway.  Anyone have experience
with this?  Where do I get the DEM and other needed files to create
maps?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim