[lug] Mapping Software

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Wed Oct 24 12:01:21 MDT 2001

Thus spake Timothy C. Klein (teece at silverklein.net):

> Finally, to the Linux part of my message.  Any tools to do something
> like this with my favorite OS?  I don't have a Windows machine any more.
> I have looked at a tool called Drawmap, but have not had a chance to
> play with it yet.  I imagine GRASS GIS could do something like this,

Drawmap is nice, but if I remember correctly it'll only parse DEMs into a contour maps.

If you're looking for topo type data you'll need to grab the DLG (Digital Line Graphic). I started a PHP script that parses them as topo maps but had to put it on hold a few months ago.It does display the maps now, pulling the data from postgres. I also created a script to get the DLGs into postgres. I'll pass either of these on if they'll help in any way.

> too.  I have wanted to play with that anyway.  Anyone have experience
> with this?  Where do I get the DEM and other needed files to create
> maps?

DLG and DEM data can be found at the usgs.gov site. They can be ftp'd. I used a regexp to get only the _CO files.

Another good resource is freegis.org. Evelyn and D Stimits had a discussion about this and Evelyn mentioned a few other great links.

John

--
John Starkey
ColoradoParks.net