[lug] Web hosting?

Dan Oglesby danno at colorado-research.com
Wed Oct 24 13:30:30 MDT 2001

Zichary O`Tea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good web/dns host?  My needs are
> the following:
>
>  - a reasonable level of security -- applies patches when they become
>    available, uses ssh, etc..
>  - has most of the standard goodies, mysql, perl, php, python, etc.
>  - will let you park a couple (say 5) domain names with one account.
>  - gives you a reasonable amount of storage space, like 200megs or so.
>  - allows for a reasonable amount of traffic -- say 3 gigs?
>  - free software, open source friendly
>  - no zope.
>  - no microsoft.
>  - gives me most of this for around 15 a month.  Without any retarded
>    setup fee, altough a non-retarded nominal setup fee -- around 20
>    dollars -- I could tolerate.
>
> the best I found so far was penguinhosting.com.  Unfortunately, their not
> accepting new users.

I know someone who uses this place for hosting:

      http://www.drak.net

They have cheap rates and a wide variety of packages for hosting.  Don't
know about shell access, though.

I have never seen a place that offered what you want for the price you're
willing to pay.  Is there a lot of demand for a hosting company like this?

--Dan Oglesby