[lug] man pages RH 7.2

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 24 16:18:09 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Gary Hodges wrote:

> > > Try the command "manpath". See what your path is. Assuming the path is
> > > ok, try as root, see if maybe it is just a permissions problem. Try to
> > > cd with a non-root user to the directory of a man page.
> >
> > The result of manpath is /usr/man .  When I look in /usr/man that are two
> > directories (man1 and man3) that each contain man pages of apps I have loaded
> > since the initial install.  All the man pages are located /usr/share/man .
> > Should I move the contents of the /usr/man pages to /usr/share/man and then
> > create links to /usr/share/man , or maybe it would just be easier to change
> > my manpath.
>
> The /usr/share/ stuff is the "modern" accepted directory, or
> /usr/local/share/, for a lot of things. Add extra directories beyond
> what you now have by editing /etc/man.config. I recommend making sure it
> searches (as a minimum):
> /usr/share/man
> /usr/local/man
> /usr/X11R6/man
> /usr/man
> /usr/lib/perl5/man
> (possibly /usr/local/share/man)

Hmmm.  The following is already in my man.config file:

MANPATH /usr/share/man
MANPATH /usr/X11R6/man
MANPATH /usr/local/man
MANPATH /usr/kerberos/man
MANPATH /usr/lib/perl5/man
MANPATH /usr/man

I've just tried putting all the paths on one line, but that didn't make any
difference.  I also checked out the manpath man page by running it directly, but
wasn't able to glean anything from that other than use MANPATH to set the
path(s).  If I run
"man -M /usr/share/man man" for example, I get the man manpage.  I have no idea
why, but for some reason the MANPATH in man.config isn't working for me.

Cheers,
Gary