[lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

B O'Fallon bof at pcisys.net
Wed Oct 24 16:35:57 MDT 2001

Chip Atkinson wrote:

> I think someone should give a 10 minute presentation on political
> activism -- where to find information, how to address letters, who your
> representative is or how to find out, etc.  It would also be nice to
> know the most effective means of communication.  For example, is a
> telephone call more or less than an on-line petition.

If I recall, the weight given to correspondence with Congress is in the
following order, from highest to lowest:

    hand-written letters
    other letters
    phone calls
    e-mail and faxes
    postcards -- the kind you get in the mail asking you to send
    petitions
    on-line petitions

It would appear that the more effort expended to contact Congress, the
more weight the message carries; therefore, the best way, if one wants to
make sure that their voice is heard, is by hand-written letter.

There is some advice on how to write Congress here:

    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/issues/basics/?style=comm

and on how to write the media here:

    http://www.nraila.org/ThingsUCanDo.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=5

The information is very good, regardless of the source <g>.

BOF