[lug] man pages RH 7.2

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Oct 25 09:20:34 MDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:00:52AM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:

> Thanks for your persistence in this thread.  I've just spent a half hour playing
> around with your suggestions.  Yes, the file man.config can be seeing by a regular
> user.  After running with the strace option several times, the best I can tell is the
> MANPATH fields are not being read from the man.config file.  I can rearrange the
> search order MANSECT and those changes are reflected in the created man.log file, but
> changes to MANPATH don't seem to make any difference.  I'm not seeing any references
> to this in google searches -- don't know if that means anything though.  It's a bit
> long, but I'm including the results of "strace -oman.log man man" at the end of this
> post.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

First a warning: i'm a Debian user, so some things might be different on
your RH installation. AFAIK man.config is used by 'mandb(8)' and not by
'man(1)', which means that man.config (or manpath.config as it's called on
Debian) is only read when you run 'mandb' to rebuild your man-page index.
Do you have a 'manpath' bnary on the system? Try running it like
 manpath -d -- that should give you a pretty good overwiew about where man(1)
is looking for manpages ('manpath -h' will show you all options).
As a side note: you can give 'strace' an optional 'expression' paramameter
that will filter which system call are traced, son in your case running
'strace -e open -o trace.log man man' will reduce the output to the relevant
information.

  Ralf Mattes