[lug] The art of listening

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Oct 25 13:20:52 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
>
> > In reality, it's probably a relief to the politicians to not have to
> > listen for a while. Then again, Senator Hollings would have never
> > proposed this ridiculous crap if he listened to people.
>
> Ahem ... one needs to be careful with this sort of diatribe.  It may be
> that these people are listening, just not specifically to you.  No I'm
> not supporting Senator Hollings on this, but like it or not he knows how
> to play.
>
> Let's move this out of this politically charged arena.  Here is a very
> similar issue
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/23/2340248&mode=nocomment
>
> that also deals with the political and marketing proficiency of the Linux
> community.  It is really the same game, just different
> players.  Interpersonal relationships and the ability to listen and say
> the right things (a.k.a. politics) is the name of the game in either case.
>
> Calling something "ridiculous crap" usually isn't how you get the ear of
> the people you are trying to influence.  (I speak from experience here
> <wink>.)
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

Ok, I've been a bit ticked off by this guy. This was a rant that people
probably could have figured out even if I hadn't said it, and I often go
to great lengths to not insult clueless people. I guess the feeling that
this guy is in such a position that he should check his ideas out before
pushing them forward is an obligation, rather than just "business as
usual", was just a bit too much for me to stop and think about. Add to
that the feeling that this guy has already made up his mind, that "being
nice" is something that won't matter in his case. Still, I know, it
didn't help anything.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com