[lug] telnet and ftp w/RH 7.2

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 25 15:54:07 MDT 2001

I had three problems with the new system this morning, and now I'm down
to one.  BTW, thanks Dan for the confirmation on editing fstab.  I
actually had to change the LABEL with e2label and edit fstab.

OK, while on the machine I can telnet and ftp into it.  When I do
in.telnetd and ftpd both show up with ps.  I cannot, however, do either
from another machine.  I can ping this machine so I'm assuming it can be
seen, I just can't get into the bugger.  I've looked at the hosts files
but don't see anything there.  When I was installing the OS, there was
three options at one point -- something like open, secure, and really
secure.  I chose secure, and I'm guessing that has disabled the ability
to telnet and ftp into this machine.

Cheers,
Gary