[lug] host name error from lpd

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Oct 25 16:03:30 MDT 2001

On the machine where the network connections have recently been tweaked all
over the place, I am getting lpd failures with messages like:

Get_local_host: hostname 'xerxes.data-raptors.com' bad

Uname -a returns
Linux xerxes.data-raptors.com 2.4.3-12 #1 Fri Jun 8 15:05:56 EDT 2001 i686
unknown

hostname returns
xerxes.data-raptors.com

Any ideas about what has gotten unstuck in lpd? It was working before I
switched the machine over to use dhcp instead of manually configured net
connections, but does not seem to be fixed by switching back to hard net
connections. (Dhcp also seems to interfere with ppp's ability to set the
default gateway. At least switching away from dhcp fixed that problem.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Elyse Grasso