[lug] GUI support, can I help you?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Oct 26 10:25:49 MDT 2001

In relation to this topic...

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:36:02AM -0500, John Karns wrote:
> I don't think that our views are that much different, but I *would* argue
> that the GUI is a defacto necessity for ease of use today in a mass
> market.  That's not to say that this would apply wrt to techie / power
> users.  We have a choice as to whether we wish to use it or not.

Has anyone noticed that when trying to walk a newbie through recent
versions of Linux that if you're used to popping open vi and editing all
the config files, your poor friend who wants help thinks you're an utter
goof for recommending it and can't figure out why you don't use that
pretty GUI configuration tool (whatever it may be) that they have right
there on their desktop to help them out?

Heh... my how the tables turn.

I know JACK about some of these GUI tools, like the little firewall
configuration tool in RH Linux variants, etc.  I just didn't learn it
that way!  ;-)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>