[lug] Best places to buy hardware for linux?

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Fri Oct 26 10:57:54 MDT 2001

Outside Loop (.com) is good too. They are pretty much a mail-order
place, but they'll let you pick stuff up in person too, they are in
Longmont. They do not specialize in Linux, they actually specialize
in high-performance PCs and overclocking. But I find that the good
Linux-compatible hardware is available there, as it's all good
name-brand quality stuff.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 08:01:20AM -0600, Ed wrote:

>     C> Can anyone tell me some places in Boulder to buy
>     C> linux-compatible hardware (i.e., something that has been
>     C> tested, the people there know it works with particular
>     C> versions/distros)...
>
>     C> When I buy hardware, I'm generally looking for stuff that I can
>     C> plug in, it works, I don't have to think about it.  Getting
>     C> tired of the endless buy/return cycle at Compusa.  I know about
>     C> PCBrokers but they are never open when I can get to them, or I
>     C> would give them more business.  Any ideas?
>
>     C> Thanks,
>
>     C> Chris _______________________________________________ Web Page:
>

> You are still walking into a store to buy your hadware? How 20th
> century of you!
>
> The best way to buy hardware (and software) is
> www.computershopper.com. There you can search by category, see the
> competing products in the same class of product, and read
> reviews. Finally, it will give you a long list of on-line vendors, and
> their prices. You pick the lowest price, click the "Buy Now" button,
> and voila, in 5 minutes you are done.
>
> CompUSA is a really useful store if aliens invade and destroy the web
> and you really need a mousepad. Otherwise, stay out of that place.
>
> I (foolishly) almost bought a computer there once. But their check-out
> guy screwed up so much and made so many mistakes that I ran out of
> time and had to leave. That night I bought a better system for $500
> less on-line. It was delivered right to my door in two days.
>
> Ed Hartnett
> --
> Telesto Consulting - www.telestoconsulting.com - UNIX/Embedded programming consultants.

Ken Kinder