[lug] pppd w/ external model

Mike Sweeney MYSAS at co.boulder.co.us
Sat Oct 27 15:56:39 MDT 2001

   I attached an external "28,800 FAX" modem to my Compaq Presario, believing the internal modem to be windows-only (?)

  By changing the pppd parameter to /dev/ttyS0, I made the light on the external modem come on, and I didn't get that "config script failed" message for a change, but it just hangs at that point. I tried changing the speed parameter to 28800. pppd says "28800 not supported".
  Maybe I need an external 57600  modem or 38400, since pppd doesn't seem to support any other speeds ?

$LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0
$REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0
exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS0/ 38400
                                  asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT