[lug] pppd w/ external model

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Oct 27 20:53:06 MDT 2001

Mike Sweeney wrote:

>    I attached an external "28,800 FAX" modem to my Compaq Presario, believing the internal modem to be windows-only (?)

I don't think that in the days of 28.8Kbps that there was such a thing
as a "winmodem". Though there were certainly proprietary or broken
versions.

>   By changing the pppd parameter to /dev/ttyS0, I made the light on the external modem come on, and I didn't get that "config script failed" message for a change, but it just hangs at that point. I tried changing the speed parameter to 28800. pppd says "28800 not supported".

Try 26.4K. I know this speed works on systems I've tried. There might
also be a subtle problem of "1k" NOT being 1000...e.g., 26.4k is NOT
26400, but 1024 times 26.4 (which incidentally means it is rounded off).
Be careful about "k" and exactly numbers, it might possibly be why the
speed isn't supported.

>   Maybe I need an external 57600  modem or 38400, since pppd doesn't seem to support any other speeds ?

If your modem is 28.8kbps, then faster will never work. Did it at least
dial? If it dialed, there is a good chance your modem is using a
protocol that is incompatible with your ISP.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com