[lug] Ah, yes: the much-vaunted Microsoft security

Tony Dyson the_anorak at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 28 10:39:00 MST 2001

Bear in mind also the M$ is completely *reactive* in this area. They are
playing catch-up with all their product lines, mostly in response to bad
publicity & a growing rumbling of discontent amongst the suits. Why?
Suits hate being embarrassed, & now running M$ software represents a
measurable cost in downtime, lost productivity & increased support
whilst security holes are patched & broken systems are "fixed" (a.k.a.
reinstalled).

So M$ are trying to duct-tape security onto products that were not
conceived with that objective. They are having to learn as they go
along, & the process is going to be painful for everyone. M$ recently
announced that "Windows Update" would be starting to check for server
patches, promising a "one click" solution. Sounds good, but more
recently they released a patch which broke "Terminal Server" for a
number of customers, & it took 4 days to find out why. There will be
more incidents like this down the road.

Any of us who are required to support M$ products are going to be
companions on this great adventure. What fun ...