[lug] Mapping Software

Eric Hillmuth ehillmuth at digitalmeridian.net
Wed Oct 24 12:49:11 MDT 2001

Tim;

The easiest solution I can think of is to use www.topozone.com. The site lets you
search by place name, lat/long, map name etc. What you get is a map of the area.
(really just a scanned version of USGS quad maps) In most browses when you
move your cursor the map coordinates appear in the status bar at bottom of the
browser. You could then enter these coordinates as waypoints.

Your next option is to check out www.freegis.org. At this site there are links to a
number of tools which run on linux and would do what you want among these is GRASS.
I use GRASS a fair amount for work and its kind of a heavy duty solution for
your needs. I believe there are some basic data views on that site too though. However, even
if you find a good data viewer, you still need data. The digital version of USGS 1:24,000
maps are .tiff images. Each images runs about 5 mb. There are 1881 1:24,000 map for
Colorado. For this reason I suggest topozone.com. But, if you want to go this route for a few maps
let me know and I'll show you where I usually download them.

--
Eric Hillmuth
Principal