[lug] kde and fonts

Catherine Walker catherinewalker at bwn.net
Sat Oct 27 18:32:06 MDT 2001

I am having a little font problem with kde, perhaps someone might recognize?

For some reason, kde thinks that a good fixed width font is ariozo, 11pt.
(which by the way, is the first one that I have alphabetically).  It
actually sucks because it is totally unreadable at 11 points.  It is some
script/handwriting looking thing that I just hate.  For most of the config
screens, kde uses this monstrosity.  I have to give xterm a font on the
command line, as it won't use this font (thank god), as it isn't a real
fixed width font.

I go into the control center and choose fonts, (I look, and there are many
font types to choose from, one of them being "fixed width", and already it
has ariozo as the default) then select "fixed width" and there is only 1
choice: "fixed", which I know (at least in the old X world) is usually an
alias to some other 6x9 type of font, something generally okay for
everything.  When I choose "fixed", it changes to this font, which looks
fine.  After I hit "apply" and whatever to get out, nothing seems to change
(still uses ariozo).  I try to log out and log back in (to the xdm or
whatever prompt), but when I come back, ariozo is back as my fixed width
font.

I don't really know what to try next, I'm not a font expert, more like a
novice.  Anyone have any ideas?

I have redhat 7.1, kde 2.1.1.  (qt 2.3.0 if that matters)

Thanks.