[lug] kde and fonts

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Mon Oct 29 10:42:39 MST 2001

What character set is KDE trying to use? I had a problem like that when I
briefly experimented with switching character sets and anti-aliasing: some of
the character sets don't come with a lot of font choices, and it seems KDE
just uses the first font it finds when it can't find the one that was
configured for that use. (turning anti-aliasing on or off also affects the
fonts you have available)

Try going into the KDE control panel, Look & Feel, Fonts, and hit the Use
Defaults button. That should set you back to something fairly readable. Then
experiment carefully with changing things to make them nicer. I like
b&h-lucidatypewriter12 for fixed width.