[lug] CDROM mounting woe

qqq1one @yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 17:03:02 MST 2001

>> I don't know if the following problem is related to
>> the CDROM install failures I mentioned in my
previous

(http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2001.10/msg00968.html),
>> but perhaps it is, hence the reference.
>>
>> I've done 3-4 fresh installs of RH7.2, and haven't
>> been able to mount the CDROM with any of them.  The
>> CDROM still works with my 6.2 hard drive.  Here's
the
>> error I get:
>>
>> # mount /dev/cdrom
>> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>>
>> Here's what fstab has (the floppy works):
>>
>> # cat /etc/fstab
>> <snip>
>> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom
>> iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy
auto
>>  noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>>
>> Here's what the devices look like:
>>
>> # ls -al /dev/cdrom
>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 29
23:28 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd
>> #
>> # ls -al /dev/hdd
>> brw-------    1 install  disk      22,  64 Aug 30
14:30 /dev/hdd

>> Here's where the problem seems to be first
detected:

>> # cat /var/log/messages
>> <snip>
>> Oct 29 23:29:03 localhost login(pam_unix)[1023]:
session opened for user install by LOGIN(uid=0)
>> Oct 29 23:29:03 localhost  -- install[1023]: LOGIN
ON tty1 BY install
>> Oct 29 23:29:29 localhost su(pam_unix)[1081]:
session opened for user root by install(uid=500)
>> Oct 29 23:29:33 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver
0.97
>> Oct 29 23:29:33 localhost insmod:
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.o:
insmod ide-cd failed

>Short note: If you expect to boot by CD or rescue,
you're probably
>better off compiling it in directly, versus putting
it in an initial
>ramdisk. The errors seem to imply that your kernel
module is compiled
>for a different kernel version. And are you using
devfs? This could
>greatly complicate life since it is currently a work
in progress.

I chose the install everything option, and I suspect
that devfs is included on RH7.2.  Maybe this has
something to do with the problem.  I read that devfs
was introduced after the 2.2 kernel series which would
explain why I never experienced this problem with 6.2
or earlier.  I'll look into that.

<big snip>