[lug] CDROM mounting woe

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 31 18:01:47 MST 2001

"qqq1one @yahoo.com" wrote:

> >> I don't know if the following problem is related to
> >> the CDROM install failures I mentioned in my
> previous
> >> post
> >>
> (http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2001.10/msg00968.html),
> >> but perhaps it is, hence the reference.
> >>
> >> I've done 3-4 fresh installs of RH7.2, and haven't
> >> been able to mount the CDROM with any of them.  The
> >> CDROM still works with my 6.2 hard drive.  Here's
> the
> >> error I get:
> >>
> >> # mount /dev/cdrom
> >> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
> >>
> >> Here's what fstab has (the floppy works):
> >>
> >> # cat /etc/fstab
> >> <snip>
> >> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom
> >> iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> >> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy
> auto
> >>  noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> >>
> >> Here's what the devices look like:
> >>
> >> # ls -al /dev/cdrom
> >> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 29
> 23:28 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd
> >> #
> >> # ls -al /dev/hdd
> >> brw-------    1 install  disk      22,  64 Aug 30
> 14:30 /dev/hdd
> >>
> >> Here's where the problem seems to be first
> detected:
> >>
> >> # cat /var/log/messages
> >> <snip>
> >> Oct 29 23:29:03 localhost login(pam_unix)[1023]:
> session opened for user install by LOGIN(uid=0)
> >> Oct 29 23:29:03 localhost  -- install[1023]: LOGIN
> ON tty1 BY install
> >> Oct 29 23:29:29 localhost su(pam_unix)[1081]:
> session opened for user root by install(uid=500)
> >> Oct 29 23:29:33 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver
> 0.97
> >> Oct 29 23:29:33 localhost insmod:
> /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.o:
> insmod ide-cd failed
> >
> >Short note: If you expect to boot by CD or rescue,
> you're probably
> >better off compiling it in directly, versus putting
> it in an initial
> >ramdisk. The errors seem to imply that your kernel
> module is compiled
> >for a different kernel version. And are you using
> devfs? This could
> >greatly complicate life since it is currently a work
> in progress.
>
> I chose the install everything option, and I suspect
> that devfs is included on RH7.2.  Maybe this has
> something to do with the problem.  I read that devfs
> was introduced after the 2.2 kernel series which would
> explain why I never experienced this problem with 6.2
> or earlier.  I'll look into that.

I *think* it was introduced in 2.4.x (which probably means 2.3.x). It's
come a long ways, but I'm still of the opinion (after watching the
kernel list) that it isn't ready to be the default install...it needs to
be optional. As close as it is to being a good choice, there seem to be
a lot of snafu's. I can see a day though when devfs has snuck up on MS
and bit it squarely in the *ss, being at least as good for true "plug it
in and run".

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com