[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Nov 2 12:01:14 MST 2001

D. Stimits wrote:

> They seem to be refusing to consider this unless I run a RH kernel,
> which I cannot do since I have XFS. However, other people have also
> looked at this, and the scripts do not properly check return values.
> Since I'm not much of a bash programmer, and since I can't prove this is
> the same thing under any kernel without reformatting my root partition,
> I'm not going to tell this guy to check return values. It irks me when I
> suggest someone check return values for error, and they give me a reply
> to the effect that "we don't need to check return values, you must've
> done something wrong". This was not a kernel issue, and has nothing to
> do with redhat versus non-redhat kernels, but it will successfully bury
> the issue. Oh well, end of rant.

Ok, I have some bash experience and, if you describe the problem
to me in greater detail (i *think* i understand at this point,
but i wanna be sure) I'll try to whip up a patch tonight.
Basically, you say that the ipchains/iptables startup scripts
will bomb if the *other* kernel module is already loaded?

Please emial me off-list with the commands that you used and
any other helpful info you can provide...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher    |  Emails:   <ed at eh3.com>, <ehill at mines.edu>