[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Fri Nov 2 16:10:34 MST 2001

> It is a mistake to think the kernel is involved. There is a badly
> misunderstood point here: *ALL* kernels, when they have iptables module
> loaded, will NOT load ipchains. They are mutually exclusive. The bash
> scripts seem to fail to check return values. If ipchains module is

Mr. Stimits is right on this part.  I understand both sides.  One
*cannot* load ipchains if the iptables modules is loaded.  Period.  One
possible fix, albeit ugly, is to edit the appropriate init script and
replace the section that load iptables and load ipchains.  Ugly, but it
works.  Another suggestion that I've seen here is to write a fix
independantly.