[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Sat Nov 3 10:39:32 MST 2001

Nate Duehr wrote:

> > >From Red Hat's point of view, this is not a major problem; only an
> > inconvience.  I run Mandrake (8.0) and I also had the exact same issue.
> > So it's not exclusive to Red Hat.  Since I don't completely understand
> > iptables, and have not had time to learn as yet, I simply ensure that
> > the init script only loads ipchains.
>
> >From RedHat's point of view they completely missed the point of D.'s bug
> report, and claim that because he created his own kernel he somehow
> caused the problem.  In other words, they screwed up.
>
> Nate

While I agree that an error has been made (error checking in
init-scripts), this is not a show stopper.  I wouldn't think that it
would be difficult to write a quick fix for this and submit.  Linux is
open source/community with many patches and bug fixes submitted from
around the world.  Why not contribute to the community?  Everybody would
appreciate it; myself found this bug a while ago and blew it off.  I
just modified the init-scripts to load the appropriate modules.
--
"Yet they are mistaken, they will be exposed, and they will discover
what