[lug] GIMP question -- moving images within layers

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Nov 4 09:32:10 MST 2001

Thus spoke John Starkey
> Does anyone know how to move an image around in a layer in GIMP? I pasted an image into a layer and the only way I can move the image itself is to move the whole layer.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but you can make a selection
and then move it.  That will create a floating selection layer which you
can then turn into another layer.  The new layer will have dimensions
smaller than the canvas (but matching the size of the selection).

Once you paste something into an existing layer it becomes part of that
layer.  There is no way (except through the use of a selection) to
distinguish individual components of a layer.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |          Better living through denial.