[lug] Problem with LILO & WIn 2k

"Saltiel, Hernán Claudio" HSaltiel at uniFON.com.ar
Mon Nov 5 15:49:24 MST 2001

Hello!

I have installed Windows 2000 Professional on my notebook, and after that,
Mandrake 8.1.
The problem is that I've tried to install it on a 20 Gb. hard dik, and when
I try to boot, only receive LI LI LI LI......

The way I installed my machine was on the /dev/hda5 for the swap partition,
and the /dev/hda6 for the / partition.
I think that LILO is confusing the geometry of the disk, so I can only boot
this system from a diskette, or from the VMware software.
I've tried to make a dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/bootsec.lnx bs=512 count=1, and the
copy the file bootsec.lnx to the Win2k partition, and modified the boot.ini
file to support the linux partition, but the messages remains with LI LI
LI....
Anybody knows how to make LILO to recognize this kind of disk, because I
partitioned the disk in two 10 Gb. partitions, and the swap starts after the
1024 cyl, is this bad for linux, must I put some parameters on lilo.conf, or
waht?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!!!

HeCSa.