[lug] Another win for Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Nov 5 22:06:56 MST 2001

Shannon Johnston wrote:

> I've slowly converted about a quarter of my company to Linux on the
> dekstop. I've managed to integrate them into a windows environment. The
> Star Office 6.0 suite is great and really makes things easy. I've heard
> that the final release of 6.0 will have M$ Outlook support.
> What I'm leading up to here is that Red Hat has some great migration
> papers available upon request.
>
> PS - Did anybody see the thing about how ILM is wanting to switch to Linux
> Render farms??

I think they did that quite a while back. In fact, one of the people I
sent email to about the attempted ban of open source software was ILM
and George Lucas. He indirectly owns the company that makes Maya, the
very top end animation software, that costs $8000 a shot. Imagine
telling all your clients they have to throw the software in the trash,
and tell ILM they'll have to install a completely new set of software to
be legal in producing the next Star Wars film :>

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com