[lug] Problem with LILO & WIn 2k

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Nov 5 22:12:47 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:49:24PM -0300, "Saltiel, Hern?n Claudio" wrote:
> >The problem is that I've tried to install it on a 20 Gb. hard dik, and when
> >I try to boot, only receive LI LI LI LI......
>
> Did you create a "/boot" partition that was within the first 1024 cylinders
> of the disc (as reported by fdisk)?  Newer lilo and grub configurations can
> handle it, so maybe if you tried Mandrake 8.2 it would Just Work.  Maybe
> not though...  Worst case, make a boot floppy or use "loadlin" to load the
> kernel after you boot Windows (if you can't re-arrange it to make the /boot
> be within the first 1024 cyls).  I think grub can get around this though.

I would bet that this is the problem. If root is hda6, and swap and NT
partitions are earlier, the NT boot loader may not be able to find
something beyond that cylinder 1024. I would also bet that for
non-geometry reasons that loadlin will not work with windows 2000, but I
could be wrong.

Incidentally, it might be useful to get the newest possible lilo and
also use the lba32 option in lilo.conf.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com