[lug] Problem with LILO & WIn 2k

"Saltiel, Hernán Claudio" HSaltiel at uniFON.com.ar
Tue Nov 6 07:11:45 MST 2001

Sean:
	Thanks for your answer.
	I didn't create a /boot partition on a cyl <1024, because my disc is
patitioned into two 10 Gb. partitions, and I have a lot of work on the Win2k
partition, so I cannot delete it!
	Something that I tried was to install and run the loadlin, but it
does not work on win2k, remember that it's the only WinXXX O.S. installed,
there is no DOS O.S. under it.
	I downloades the new LILO but it does not work too.
	I'm going to run the script command when running fdisk, and a cat of
the lilo.conf, to show how it's configured, and how is the geometry of my
disk.
	Maybe the problem is the definition of the geometry, that I don't
know how to do...
	Thanks a lot for your quick answer!
HeCSa.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Sean Reifschneider [mailto:jafo at tummy.com]
Enviado el: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 01:18
Para: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Asunto: Re: [lug] Problem with LILO & WIn 2k

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:49:24PM -0300, "Saltiel, Hern?n Claudio" wrote:
>The problem is that I've tried to install it on a 20 Gb. hard dik, and when
>I try to boot, only receive LI LI LI LI......

Did you create a "/boot" partition that was within the first 1024 cylinders
of the disc (as reported by fdisk)?  Newer lilo and grub configurations can
handle it, so maybe if you tried Mandrake 8.2 it would Just Work.  Maybe
not though...  Worst case, make a boot floppy or use "loadlin" to load the
kernel after you boot Windows (if you can't re-arrange it to make the /boot
be within the first 1024 cyls).  I think grub can get around this though.

Sean
--
 "Yes on one, no on two."  "Is number one nuke Russia, or number two?"
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_