[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Nov 7 12:05:11 MST 2001

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> It IS a show stopper. For a week after I first installed my new RH 7.1,
> >> it claimed to be firewalled. It was not.
> >> [ ... ]
>
> I don't know anything about this problem, or its resolution.  I don't
> work in that part of the company.  I did notice that you didn't reopen
> the bug when you added your comments on 11-2.  I'm guessing that
> unless you reopen it (which as the initial reporter you ought to be
> able to do), it won't be looked at again.

The original person said he wouldn't look at it unless I tested it on a
stock kernel, which is not possible without reformatting my XFS root
partition. He has mistaken the inability to load both iptables and
ipchains modules at the same time for what the real problem is. All
2.4.x kernels refuse loading both at the same time. The problem is that
when such a conflict occurs and it causes deactivation of ipchains, the
init scripts no longer correctly indicate failure. But there is no way I
can do this with a stock kernel, so it will have to remain a bug, all I
can do is tell him he is wrong, and leave it at that.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com