[lug] 2.4.13 kernel?

Paul Walmsley shag-blug at booyaka.com
Wed Nov 7 20:24:22 MST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Shannon Johnston wrote:

> I just installed the 2.4.13 kernel in a server of mine. It seemed to go
> alright except that without a patch, it didn't support ext3fs. That
> bothered me a bit. I'm not all that sure it's worth upgrading (at least on

Consider using the -ac series of kernels.  It is a lesser-known fact that
many distribution kernels are largely -ac-based.  You get Alan's beautiful
detailed changelogs (if you're subscribed to lkml).  And, you'll get ext3
as part of the standard distro.

The general quality of the -ac releases are higher as well, I believe.

I've been running 2.4.13-ac5 here for a few days with no problems;
interactive performance, particularly VM performance, seems superior to
the 2.4.9-ac5 kernel that I was running previously.

- Paul