[lug] any tips RE: DSL ?

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 09:48:11 MST 2001

Ordering DSL (at least through a CLEC) is an experience that I would wish on no
one.

Once it is installed, however, connecting to it is a snap.  If your provider
uses DHCP, as mine does, enter the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

	iface eth0 inet dchp

Otherwise, enter the following information, which your provider should give you
upon installation:

	iface eth0 inet static
		address <your IP address>
		netmask <your subnet mask>
		broadcast <your default gateway>

Restart networking after editing that config file and let the good times roll!

The last time I looked into getting DSL from Qwest, they were offering an
internal DSL modem for free and external modem at extra cost.  According to
Qwest, the internal modem works only on Windows.  According to a friend of
mine, the internal modem is the DSL equivalent of a Winmodem, except that it
is a noticeable drain on system resources.  My point?  If you go with Qwest,
pay the bucks and get the external unit.

Generally, I have found that just because your ISP doesn't know/support Linux
doesn't mean you can't run it--it just means that you shouldn't expect any
help from them if you run into trouble.

Is this what you meant?

Dhruva

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:31:37AM -0700, quoth Mike Sweeney: