[lug] Problem with LILO & WIn 2k

Faster-Laster jason at fasterlaster.com
Fri Nov 9 12:28:24 MST 2001

I haven't really followed this thread much, so excuse any stupid
assumptions on the first post. At several installfests recently I have
installed mandrake on some win2k boxes. Lilo pretty much blows w/ this
config, but grub works flawlessly. I still don't understand crap about
grub other than it works great w/ win2k & could care less about the 1024
limit.

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:12:05PM -0700, Sexton, George wrote:
> Wow... Everyone really does this the hard way. A much easier way is:
>
> Leave NT (or Win2K alone).
>
> Install Linux. Have lilo write the boot loader to the first block of the
> /boot partition. Linux can also be on a different drive.
>
> Use the BootPart (http://www.winimage.com/) program from NT to install the
> Linux boot partition block on to the NT partition and add Linux as a choice
> from the NT Boot Loader Menu.
>
> Boot the machine and Choose Linux from the NT Boot Loader screen.
>
> Done.

| Microsoft does write "free" software.  Not free as in "free beer" or |
| "free speech", but "Free Tibet". -- Milan Svoboda in linux at linux.cz  |