[lug] RE: Nvidia accelerated divers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 9 14:49:07 MST 2001

Hugh Brown wrote:

> (vi|emacs|pico) /etc/inittab
>
> edit the initdefault line and put a 3 in for the 5
>
> id:3:initdefault:

It's also useful to know that, in addition to this edit, you can do an
actual change from runlevel 5 to 3 by running as root: "init 3". Then to
try runlevel 5 again without rebooting: "init 5". There are of course
times when you do actually want to reboot, but graphics failure (without
keyboard failure) usually doesn't require that. Now if you don't want to
risk cycling things, you can go to init 3 and try "startx" first, see if
that works. If so, kill X11 with control-alt-backspace, and run init 3
to go to the gdm or kdm managers.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com