[lug] RE: Nvidia accelerated divers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 9 16:29:22 MST 2001

Jeff Howell wrote:

> Actually that line in the XF86Config-4 file is telling X which agp
> driver to use. As agpgart is loaded as a module, you're using the kernel
> agp driver which is slowing your 3d performance a lot. The nvidia agp
> driver won't show up as a kernel module. It's internal to the driver. I
> would suggest using it unless you have a motherboard chipset that is
> listed in the nvidia docs as incompatible with thir driver.

There is always need for DRI interfacing modules, and 4.0.x servers use
one API, while 4.1.x servers use another (which is somewhat inconvenient
if you have the wrong kernel). Except in the case of NVidia, which has
its very own DRI API. What I'm fuzzy on is whether that DRI API alters
the AGP module calls. I was under the impression that agpgart had both
an NVidia and a stock version; I've personally used only the NVidia
version where possible, since it seems more reliable under SMP OpenGL
(combine that with 4.0.3 XFree86 for a very stable SMP OpenGL server...I
haven't heard anything at all about 4.1.x and NVidia, I'm wondering if
4.1.x can be used with NVidia at this point, or whether it is still
waiting for new modules).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com