[lug] Tape Drives on Linux

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Nov 10 23:51:03 MST 2001

Why non-SCSI?

I have both DDS-3 drives (HP, and some no-name) and an Ecrix VXA-1
external SCSI that have ALWAYS worked... no screwing around... on
everyone's stock kernels.

Plug them in, turn them on, run whatever backup types I want.  Never so
much as a single complaint from any kernel.

You don't need high-end expensive SCSI adapter cards for tapes, they
don't need it.  Grab a few cheap supported SCSI cards and be done with
it.

I'm partial to Adaptec cards, but they tend to be a little more pricey.
I have a Tekram card that wouldn't work properly under 2.2 kernels, but
is very happily supported on the stock RedHat 2.4 kernels also.  It was
$39 at Micro Center if I remember correctly.

I saw HP DDS-3 drives in unknown but supposedly working condition on
Ebay today for $40.  I don't think I'd trust a production environment to
an Ebay tape drive, but new ones are quite reasonable if you consider
the amount of your time and down-time data loss will cost.

(I'm starting to become a "True Believer(TM)" in good backups... now if
I just had more time to get all the machines everywhere that I use set
up the way I want them!  GRIN)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com