[lug] Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Al oxbow7 at home.com
Mon Nov 12 04:36:11 MST 2001

David <dajo at frii.com> wrote:

> There was a posting in the last week or two from someone who had
> persuaded his boss to go Linux; my recollection is that the cost of
> 130 (?) licences was one of a just a few factors mentioned.
(appropriate snippage)

That was me. Cost is the only factor that drives my company's interest
in Linux, from the management's viewpoint.

So far, the biggest stumbling block is a replacement for M$ Office. Star
Office has failed miserably. And that was my best hope.  :(
Text has been no problem but spreadsheets have not done so well. A 47Kb
sheet, converted and then re-saved unchanged, grows to 637 Kb. Any
editing of that particular sheet breaks it. And it's only a medium level
complicated sheet.

Al
Opera: Greek word for death by music.