[lug] Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Mon Nov 12 08:50:22 MST 2001

My point on the metric system is that just because it is superior doesn't
mean that it will take over.  There something to be said about inertia.
Back when Windows was cheap there wasn't a whole lot of inertia to deal
with, it then took over the market because it was cheap, M$ is good at
marketing, and there wasn't much inertia.

Unfortunately, inertia in the computing world is extremely large.

So economics is the driving factor but not the economics of "Linux is cheap
to get"

About metric, the system is free (just like Linux), but it is costly to
convert to (just like Linux can be).

For now, I continue to advocate Linux, eschew windows in the workplace and
watch to see what happens.

I would love for Linux to take over, but it won't be as quick as all that,
especially if M$ is successful in making the platform irrelevant (.Net,
etc.)

Hugh

"David"