[lug] [CLUE-Tech] Super Computing Event: SC2001 (fwd)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Nov 13 10:54:41 MST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> I did, but unfortunately I don't have all of the skills. I don't
> remember the exact problems, but I know it wanted some scripting
> language experience I don't have or know. For example, I suppose I
> should learn PERL, and improve my bash skills. Hmm, I think it also
> required Fortran. I'm really a C/C++ person at heart; I can learn any of
> the requirements, but most of these jobs do not allow one to "learn as
> you go". The whole arena of scientific computing is interesting, often
> it requires specialized skills though, I wish there were more ways to
> work into these fields.

Ack ... this is how you DON'T get a job.  If you are interested and
willing to lean at least contact them.  You just might be persuasive, they
might have another opening, or ...?  At the very least let them tell you
no.  It will never happen if you've already decided it won't.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)