[lug] [CLUE-Tech] Super Computing Event: SC2001 (fwd)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Nov 13 11:00:46 MST 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I did, but unfortunately I don't have all of the skills. I don't
> > remember the exact problems, but I know it wanted some scripting
> > language experience I don't have or know. For example, I suppose I
> > should learn PERL, and improve my bash skills. Hmm, I think it also
> > required Fortran. I'm really a C/C++ person at heart; I can learn any of
> > the requirements, but most of these jobs do not allow one to "learn as
> > you go". The whole arena of scientific computing is interesting, often
> > it requires specialized skills though, I wish there were more ways to
> > work into these fields.
>
> Ack ... this is how you DON'T get a job.  If you are interested and
> willing to lean at least contact them.  You just might be persuasive, they
> might have another opening, or ...?  At the very least let them tell you
> no.  It will never happen if you've already decided it won't.

This is a good point, but I'm a bit demoralized at this point. In the
last year, of every single job I suggested I'd learn and ask about other
positions they might have, only one person has even bothered to send a
rejection letter. Nobody else even replied. One recruiter was bragging
on a job list how glad he was to be able to stick it to the programmers
that were so snotty a year ago. Others have said they don't have time to
reply to people who send resumes for jobs they are not qualified for,
and end up adding comments like "requirements are strict" to their
future notices. I really don't understand how things got so bad, I'm a
bit stunned by this whole experience.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com