[lug] [CLUE-Tech] Super Computing Event: SC2001 (fwd)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Nov 13 11:30:01 MST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Charles Morrison wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is how it always is; You can't get the skills unless
> you work in the area and you can't work in the area unless you already
> have the skills. It's really a PITA.

Well ... OK, I'll keep my big mouth shut on this for now.

> I think Wayde mentioned trying to get a test cluster up for the BLUG to
> use. Maybe a "Stone Soupercomputer" style cluster would be a good
> learning aid. If BLUG can't do it alone, maybe in conjunction with the
> other LUGS and other special interest UGs (ACM) as well. Might be worth
> a discussion again.

Yes, I've tried to get people interested in various projects such as this
over the years.  There seldom seems to be enough interest or committment
from people to follow through though.  My feeling about this today is that
a virtual test cluster could be built using the internet.  It seems like a
small group of you could download the necessary software, install it,
develop a test program, and at some agreed upon time commit your machine
as a test cluster node on the net.

All this really needs is for someone to put together a project proposal
and get the team together.  Is that person out there ...?  (Call from the
BLUG Human Resources Department <wink>).

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)