[lug] [CLUE-Tech] Super Computing Event: SC2001 (fwd)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Nov 13 12:28:56 MST 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > This is a good point, but I'm a bit demoralized at this point.
>
> Hmmm ... I was always told to get back on the horse.  (Yeah I did grow up
> on a cattle ranch - it wasn't always just a figure of speech.)
>
> > future notices. I really don't understand how things got so bad, I'm a
> > bit stunned by this whole experience.
>
> In many ways I guess I'm just a bit stunned that everyone seems so
> stunned.  I tend to think that reality has reintroduced itself.  The
> problem is that few of us have every really seen it bad, and it really
> isn't that bad.  Enough of my moralizing though.  I've probably already
> ticked a few people off.

It isn't the economy or the particular joblessness that is demoralizing.
It is the near-absolute lack of response to my contacts. Even lecturing
against applying for something that I am superficially not qualified
for. It used to be I could have someone tell me "no", now it is just
/dev/null that I consult for replies. Or even gloating about how great
it is to put snotty programmers in their place. It's a strange world,
with almost zero feedback.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com