[lug] Converting postscript images to png or gif

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Nov 14 00:47:25 MST 2001

>>>>> "Wayde" == J Wayde Allen <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us> writes:

Wayde> I have several graphs that I've generated using Gnuplot that I
Wayde> would like to use in a presentation I'm creating using
Wayde> StarOffice.  [...] Is there a better and perhaps more direct
Wayde> way to do this?

DS> I've directly generated jpeg's from octave, which in turn uses
DS> gnuplot (so I assume this can be done from gnuplot). The results
DS> for some bezier plots were fairly clear. Does Star Office work
DS> with jpeg's?

yes, gnuplot (at least v3.7) supports PNG if compiled properly.  i'm
using an ancient version, and it works:

| $ rpm -q gnuplot
| gnuplot-3.7-2

almost identical to Wayde's postscript example, just:

   set term png color
   set output "mygraph.png"
   replot

then another "set output" to reset the destination to stdout / x11.

i had some issues with trying to switch back and forth; if you want
both ps and png output, it should be possible to do both from the same
session, but i'm not sure.  (and it seemed to work this time.)

t.