[lug] Netscape6/Mozilla

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Wed Nov 14 09:19:10 MST 2001

You are preaching to the wrong person, my friend. I can't just go fix CNN's
or SalomonSmithBarney's web sites. I cannot access sites, not because I am
non-compliant, but because the sites are. We are dealing with this issue
because the major browsers all treat protocol prefixed relative URLs the
same way. That makes it a de facto standard.

What's even more dangerous than redirecting data to a different protocol is
rewriting a portion of a local URL to a FQDN (/cgi-bin becomes
//www.cgi-bin.com). How many credit card numbers do you suppose have been
posted to www.cgi-bin.com because of this misfeature? So this is obviously
not a safety issue for Mozilla.