[lug] Re lpc status and sh

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Wed Nov 14 10:30:37 MST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, D. Stimits said:

> One of my favorite tips is to choose a new "EXTRAVERSION" in the
> Makefile before starting. When you run "uname -r", and get back
> something like 2.4.9-15smp, the "-15smp" is the EXTRAVERSION. This stops
> your original kernel and modules from being overwritten during the
> install, and it can be used to append to your System.map file as an aid
> there too (anyone seen unresolved symbols while loading modules?). E.G.,
> edit /usr/src/linux/Makefile, find the EXTRAVERSION line, and do
> something like:
> EXTRAVERSION =-TestRun
> (note that there is no space between the "=" and the "-")

I like this idea, and seem to recall having seen it mentioned on this list
once or twice in the past.  I tried it once, but had a problem with
modules not loading - I recall seeing errors about the directory not
being found.  But I'll have to give it another go, as I like to
have a more than one kernel to choose from.

> Doing a make modules-install would then write modules to a new
> directory /lib/modules/2.4.15-TestRun/, rather than overwriting or
> getting mixed up with prior modules.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having a bunch of module dir trees around
though.  AFAIK the 'make modules_install' just copies rather than deleting
the existing modules first - i.e., it's accumulative - so I like the idea
of having one set of modules for different kernels of the same revision
level.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net