[lug] Re: No Job Control

SoloCDM deedsmis at aculink.net
Fri Nov 16 12:49:22 MST 2001

John Karns stated the following:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, SoloCDM said:
>
> > Why do I get the following message when I log into a root account?
>
> > bash: no job control in this shell
>
> > The problem doesn't stem from my /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile,
> > ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_function, ~/.bash_profile files . . . I tested
> > each one.  I tried to find the line in all the /etc files and
> > subdirectories, but no results.
>
> > From the bash man page:
>
> JOB CONTROL Job control refers to the ability to selectively stop
> (suspend) the execution of processes and continue (resume) their
> execution at a later point.  A user typically employs this facility
> via an interactive interface sup- plied jointly by the system's
> terminal driver and bash.
>
> It seems that the terminal driver also has to support job control.
> Although it doesn't make sense that root logins would have a different
> terminal driver than other user logins.

On another list, someone mentioned that util-linux-2.11f-11.7.1 had
bugs.  Mine wasn't of that version, but it seemed a good place to
start, because prior to that I upgraded util-linux.  Recently I
upgraded to util-linux-2.11h.  So far I haven't had any problems.

--
Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list/newsgroup address and my email address in To:.