[lug] need samba help for printing

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Nov 17 17:24:46 MST 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> > If you're running Win98 (or any version of Windows with encrypted passwords), you need to add users to the "smbpasswd" file (/etc/samba/smbpasswd on RH 7.1 & 7.2) with the "smbpasswd" command.
> >
> > That _shouldn't_ be an issue if you're running only Win95, though.
>
> I thought you can just enable encryption on the Samba side if encrypted passwords
> are used?

Actually, we're both right - you need both "enable encryption" AND the
"smbpasswd" stuff I mentioned, since (IIRC) Windows and Linux do not encrypt
their passwords in the same way.

> The other option is to turn off encryption in Win98 or NT 4/5. The SMB Howto has
> the registry settings for Windows that do this:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-7.html

True.

The main disadvantage with that (assuming one's network is secure from
sniffers) is that you have to remember to do that with every Windows system you
set up. That may not be an issue for Michael (it didn't sound like he had too
many systems on his home network), but it was where I first set up Samba (90
systems) and _could_ be an issue at my present job (9 Windows systems on the
network, with the occasional visiting laptop).  I just figure touching one
machine (well, touching it twice per user (passwd and smbpasswd) if the users
have shell accounts on Linux) is simpler than touching every machine at work
(including remembering to apply that registry hack after the inevitable wipe
and reinstall of Windows).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge