[lug] compressed cpio archive problems

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Sun Nov 18 14:10:17 MST 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, S. Luke Jones wrote:

> Nobody has uncompress anymore (thanks a lot, Unisys) but gunzip
> has the equivalent capability. Some of the .cpio.Z files give me

I am not sure, but I thought uncompress was standard with just about
any type of UNIX distribution. Try it and see. I could be wrong.

> $ gunzip foo.cpio.Z
> gunzip: foo.cpio.Z: corrupt input. Use zcat to recover some data.
>
> and the man page is pretty unhelpful. (It says zcat will read up
> to the point of failure, but no hints as to how to skip the bad
> part and continue on after. Perhaps that's not possible with .Z
> files, but I'm hoping it is.)

I have seen some odd behavior with tar on RH distributions. I had to
ftp the archive to a Solaris machine and had no issues. Not sure what
to tell you. Do you know a developer-type of person. I know that the ones
I know have had to slog through this at times.

Sorry for the lack of infromation,

Bill