[lug] Very odd, not really linux question -- WATT 32, AT&T at home

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Sun Nov 18 18:20:29 MST 2001

On 11-18 16:39, Brad Grissom wrote:
> Not completely related to this, but I also have @home.  My problem is how do I see other machines on the home network?  We each have our little c338829-a.lakwod3.co.home.com addresses, but I need to know the internal network stuff.
>
> I guess it would help to know what I am trying to do.  I am trying to scp some files onto the Windows machine, from the Linux machine.  Basically I have pscp on the Windows machine (Putty's SCP) and I am copying stuff from the DOS prompt.  I can do something like:
>
> pscp grizzyb at 24.182.228.14:/home/grizzyb/file C:\file
>
> or
>
> pscp grizzyb at c338829-a.lakwod3.co.home.com:/home/grizzyb/file C:\file
>
> But each of those go through the @home servers and limit the bandwidth.  I just want to identify the Linux machine as 192.168.0.12 or whatever but I haven't figured out how.  Nothing sees anything else on the home network!

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, it sounds like you have two or more IP's
issued to you from @Home? If not, did you set up some sort of NAT(network address
translation) on the Linux box?  I think there is a NAT (or maybe it's called Firewall)
Howto out there. You might want to look at that if you have only one IP assigned to you.

BTW, I'm not sure you want to actually put your username for a box like that on
a public forum in the future...everyone and their evil cracker brother can and do hammer on @Home machines.
Knowing your username is half the battle for a nasty individual....I'm not paranoid, but if I were you,
I'd change it to something else. Just a friendly warning.
:)

Cheers,

Sean LeBlanc, seanleblanc at home.com
IM-> Yahoo: seanleblancathome ICQ: 138565743 MSN: seanleblancathome AIM: sleblancathome
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and whatever you hit, call it
the target.