[lug] Very odd, not really linux question -- WATT 32, AT&T at home

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Tue Nov 20 09:54:13 MST 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Brad Grissom said:

>Not completely related to this, but I also have @home.  My problem is
>how do I see other machines on the home network?  We each have our
>little c338829-a.lakwod3.co.home.com addresses, but I need to know the
>internal network stuff.

[other info snipped]

Could you provide some more information on your network setup?  Are you
running all your computers into one cable modem, or into a hub and then
into the cable modem?  Are some of the computers connected to separate
cable modems?

I can only imagine this type of network slowdown if you are using
separate cable modems and actually transferring the data across the
cable network instead of an Ethernet in your house.  Either that, or the
cable modem is programmed _very_ badly.  It should only rate limit
traffic actually going onto the cable network.

Try disconnecting the cable modem from the cable.  If you are not using
separate cable modems and the network is set up correctly, you should
still be able to communicate with the other computers in your house.