[lug] Connection problems

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Nov 21 12:26:38 MST 2001

Chris Wade wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been having some problems telnetting or ssh'ing to my home machine from
> work.  Sometimes it will work, then it won't work, sometimes it will work
> part of the day and then stop working, then when I get home, the linux
> machine is sitting there, fine as can be, still able to access the internet.
> I can ping its IP from work but beyond that, nothing.  Where would I begin
> to look for the cause of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> CHris

Be sure that your linux kernel does not have ECN (Explicit Congestion
Notification) option available. If it is available, turn it off
(probably through /etc/sysctl.conf, or echo of "0" to a /proc/ file).
See the documentation in the kernel source,
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/, somewhere it will tell about ECN (I avoid
it). It seems the concensus is that some routers along the way between
machines don't properly respond to ECN, it isn't a linux bug, but the
routers on the Internet are the ones in charge.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com